From upland gunning and waterfowling to sporting clays, Shooting Sportsman celebrates all that is good about wingshooting: its traditions and the people who keep them alive, the birds and the bird dogs, and the exciting places to visit along the way—be they around the corner or around the world. It also honors the craftsmanship inherent in every fine shotgun, with stories about the best American, British and Continental gunmakers, engravers and custom gunsmiths.
Shooting Sportsman Magazine is published six times a year. In addition to features on wingshooting, shotguns, gunmakers and destinations, the magazine includes regular columns covering shooting, ammunition, gunmaking, dogs, sporting clays, conservation, gear, books and more. The SSM Web site is a resource for wingshooting & fine-gun enthusiasts available 24 hours a day. It provides information, services and products as well as hosts one of the largest online sporting communities through its Bulletin Board. The SSM media division publishes books and videos on topics relevant to sportsmen.
Shooting Sportsman Magazine was launched in late 1987. In the spring of 1993 it became part of Down East Enterprise, Inc., in Rockport, Maine. During its tenure, SSM has grown to be the largest magazine dedicated to wingshooting & fine guns in the world.
Other properties owned by Down East Enterprise include Fly Rod & Reel Magazine, Down East Magazine and Down East Books.
PO Box 1357
Camden, ME 04843
680 Commercial St.
Rockport, ME 04843
Phone: 800-766-1670 or 207-594-9544
For questions regarding your subscription:
Please contact Terry Bombeke or click here for more information.
Roxmont Creative Services Group
Dawn Rasmussen • Customer Service Representative
Brian Johnson • Production Operations Manager
Joe Anderson • Reprint Sales Coordinator
Phone: 800-766-1670 or 207-594-9544, Fax: 207-594-7215
Website Issues: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shooting Sportsman caters to discriminating bird shooters and connoisseurs of fine shotguns. We publish non-fiction (allowing for "embellishments" now and again), humor and photo essays. The best way to get an idea of what we're looking for is to read a few issues.
Following are some general comments on SSM's editorial requirements and policies. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
1. Please query first and include photo support (with detailed captions), if available.
2. Features range in length from about 1,500 to 2,500 words, and payment is typically on acceptance. Please contact our editorial offices for rates.
3. If illustrations are not provided by the author, they are often purchased independently. Because size and use depend on page layouts, payment for art often must wait until the issue is designed. Please contact our editorial offices for rates.
4. Color slides may be any standard format, but must be originals or marked as dupes. Digital images must be of 300 dpi or greater and of appropriate size, preferably submitted on CD-ROM.
5. Manuscripts must be typed, double-spaced, with a name and number on each page. If possible, submissions via e-mail would be appreciated. We work in Microsoft Word but can convert most major word-processing programs. If you do use another program, please copy and paste the article as part of the regular e-mail message using two returns between paragraphs. (Sometimes formatting is lost through e-mail, so we may request a hardcopy as well.)
6. A self-addressed, postage-paid container (and necessary insurance) must be included with all material.
7. If you have clippings or tear sheets of previously published material, they will help us evaluate your query.